Friday, June 9, 2017

6/9 My Thoughts On "WONDER WOMAN":




"Wonder Woman" The story centers around Diana, princess of the Amazons being drawn into WW1 (the war to end all wars) after plucking a military pilot (Steve Trevor) from the ocean waters that surround Themyscira (Paradise Island).. Let me start by saying Gal Gadot is Wonder Woman, she is awesome in the role.. I was dead set against her being cast as Diana (WW), I was totally wrong..

Wonder Woman starts off strong and is beautifully set up, I loved watching her training to become an amazonian warrior.. Robin Wright as Antiope and Connie Nielsen as Hippolyta were freaking bad-ass! I kind of wish we could have just stayed on Themyscira, I loved everything about it.

When Diana decides to leave the Island and travel to London with Steve Trevor the film kicks into comic book mode.. I enjoyed the whole fish out of water element, it kind of remind me of Richard Donner's Superman.. You can tell director Patty Jenkins was heavily influenced by the film..

Unfortunately the weakest part of Wonder Woman is the third act, once again a DC film in the new cinematic universes has a cringe worthy over the top bloated CGI mess of a supervillain "Ares".. The character felt totally shoehorn in and completely unnecessary.. And when Ares has his (what a twist) moment it was a bit silly..

Don't get me wrong the WW1 battle scenes are amazing and when Wonder Woman walks into battle for the first time against the German soldiers - it is complete awesomeness to the point you want to jump out of your seat and cheer..

Is Wonder Woman as good as Logan, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight? No, not even close.. But it is one hell of a good superhero movie and the best film to come out of DC since The Dark Knight Rises.. Grade B+

Cast: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Connie Nielsen, Danny Huston, David Thewlis, Ann Ogbomo and Robin Wright..