Wednesday, December 20, 2017

My Thoughts On 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi'




The Last Jedi' centers around Rey seeking guidance from a very hesitant Luke Skywalker, who is frightened by the strength of her growing powers. Meanwhile, with the republic now destroyed the First Order is determined to crush Leia and what's left of the Resistance..

This is one hard film to review, my first viewing of TLJ didn't go as well as I hoped. I walked out of theater feeling unsure how I felt about the film. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't bouncing off the walls full of joy either..

Having this movie all planned out in my head for two years, envisioning this scene and that scene - I was pretty pumped going into theater, only to be smacked right in the face and realizing for the most part everything I thought was going to happen didn't happen, or at least didn't happen the way I envisioned it in my head..

Going into my second viewing of TLJ and knowing what I was getting into, I'm happy to say I enjoyed the film a lot more.. It's not a prefect movie but it is one heck of an awesome ride..

Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley and Andy Serkis as Snoke all give very strong performances.. Whenever they are on screen TLJ is a 10 out of 10..

But unfortunately the film gets weighed down by an unnecessary subplot involving Finn and new characters Rose Tico and DJ played by Benicio Del Toro.. I don't have a clue why this storyline is in the movie, it feels like you are watching a different film when ever these characters are on screen.. I did find DJ somewhat interesting, hopefully at some point we will see more of him..

Moving on..

The scenes with Rey and Luke were very powerfully, to be honest I wish we could have just stayed on Ahch-To.. I also enjoyed the scenes with Kylo Ren and Snoke, loved their interactions!

When it comes to Leia, she is a complete bad ass - really loved what Rian Johnson and Carrie Fisher did with the character..

Like I said The Last Jedi is great, but it is a film that has some unfortunate flaws..

I'm going to give the flick an 8/10 - I may do a spoiler talk in a few days..