Thursday, March 14, 2024

'The Last Starfighter' Is One Of The Best Sci-fi Movies Ever Made:


The Last Starfighter is a better Star Wars film then any Disney Star Wars film. That's right I said what I said! 

I had the pleasure of seeing The Last Starfighter back in 1984. I was 12 years old and freaking blown away by the story the characters and the special effects. I wondered for the longest time how they being the filmmakers did that 🤔 of course way back then the effects were done by CGI. 

Yes The Last Starfighter was one of early films to use cgi. I loved the film so much I went back to the theater next day to see it again. I believe I ended up seeing the film in theaters 4 times over that summer. 

I never understood why we never got a sequel because clearly the story of Alex Rogan becoming The Last Starfighter had room to continue and grow!

A sequel to the film has been talked about for almost 40 years now. Yes it's been that long 😳 hopefully we will will get one some day 🤞 anyways definitely check the film if you have never seen it! 

The film gets a solid 76% rating on Rotten Tomatoes with a 6.7 on IMdB

For me 10 out of 10 Severed Thumbs 👍

On a $15 million dollar budget The Last Starfighter was released on July 13th 1984 and became a modest success at the North American box office pulling in just over $29 million dollars...

Story: After finally achieving the high score on Starfighter, his favorite arcade game, everyday teenager Alex Rogan (Lance Guest) meets the game's designer, Centauri (Robert Preston) -- who reveals that he created Starfighter as a training ground for developing and recruiting actual pilots to help fight a war in space. 

Whisked away from the banality of his trailer park life to a distant alien planet, Alex struggles to use his video game-playing skills to pilot a real ship, with real lives at stake...

Cast: Lance Guest, Robert Preston, Catherine Mary Stewart and Dan O'Herlihy

Written by: Jonathan R. Betuel
Directed by: Nick Castle

Runtime: 101 Minutes 
Rated: PG

Original Trailer: https://youtu.be/N5ikNeu3lTc?si=fdqVNEKaqtp8rssG