Thursday, July 11, 2024

My Review Of 'Godzilla vs Kong: The New Empire'

Follow Me Over At Slasher: https://www.slasher.tv/SpookyBrandon

I finally watched 'Godzilla x Kong' last night with Stephanie Peacock Tharp . She actually seen the movie in theaters a couple of months ago, I unfortunately wasn't able to go because of the shingles.. Anyways 

Overall I enjoyed the movie a good bit buuuttttg I'm not going to lie after watching Godzilla Minus One, a film that I consider to be one of the best films I've ever seen, Godzilla x Kong just seem a little bit goofy at times. Like I said I enjoyed the movie I just didn't fall in love with it like I did with Minus One. 

And please don't miss understand me I have absolutely don't have any problem what-so-ever with any race of people being in a film but for the love of god why in every monster flick or over the top action movie does the a black man have to be the scared overly jokey stereotype? It's a stereotype that's been played to death. Back in the 70s Hollywood forced black men to play pimp's, murders or robbers if they wanted to work in a big studio film. Late 80s early 90s it had to be the funny over the top scared black man orrrr the overly angry black guy. It's just stupid to still be doing that nonsense. Big Hollywood loves to brag how inclusive the industry is but yet big Hollywood is still pushing stereotypical characters in 2024, my my how progressive 🙄

Brian Tyree Henry is a dang good actor give him something to work with 🤦 I'm just saying 🤷🏻‍♂️ Okay end of rant.

Like 'Godzilla vs Kong' The New Empire is pretty loaded with Rock em Sock em Monster fights which is a plus! It appears director Adam Wingard learned from previous American Godzilla films, don't try to make a film about the humans or some odd preachy environment message movie but at the same time don't make the film to overly silly nonsense like Godzilla 98. 

GxK: New Empire gets 7 out of 10 Severed Thumbs 👍🏼

Storyline: Godzilla and the almighty Kong face a colossal threat hidden deep within the planet, challenging their very existence and the survival of the human race...

Cast: Rebecca Hall, Brian Tyree Henry, Dan Stevens, Kaylee Hottle, Alex Ferns and Fala Chen

Written by: Terry Rossio, Simon Barrett and Jeremy Slater

Directed by: Adam Wingard

Running Time: 115 minutes

Rated: PG-13 for Creature Violence and Action